Insurance Requirements for Third Parties



Minimum Insurance Requirements


Wilkes University requires outside parties who will be performing work or providing services to the University, or those using University facilities to provide evidence of certain types of insurance coverage at specified minimum limits. In most instances, outside parties are required to name the University as an “Additional Insured” and to provide a certificate of insurance (COI) before commencing work or before using a University facility.

Insurance Requirements for Outside Parties

In general, all outside parties providing work, or services, or using University facilities are required to carry the following types and amounts of insurance coverage.

Commercial General Liability (GL) 

The University requires all outside parties to carry comprehensive general liability insurance (GL) including:


  • Bodily injury and property damage;
  • Personal and advertising injury;
  • Contractual liability;
  • Products and completed operations; and
  • Per occurrence/aggregate limit (per lists below). 

The coverage limits are specified minimum amounts based on the type of work performed, service provided or activity. The University reserves the right to require higher limits from a particular contractor or vendor for a particular project or event. 

The following table indicates the minimum insurance limit requirements for different types of vendors. 

$1M per occurrence/aggregate

$2M per occurrence/aggregate

$5M per occurrence/aggregate

Consultant (General Management Software)


Repair /Maintenance/Onsite Installation Work

Hazardous Waste Transporter/Handler


Professional Health Service Provider (MD, RN, Therapists, ATC)

Charter/School Bus Company

Caterer/Food Service Provider (single event)

Inflatable Attraction & Amusement Rental  (i.e. carnival attractions, bounce house)               

Elevator Work

Photographer/ Videographer

Outdoor Concerts

Industrial Food Service Vendor

Independent Consultant/Coach

Limo/Car with Driver

Roofing & Scaffolding Work

Cleaner/Housekeeping Service






 NOTE:  General liability insurance is not required for educational speakers or instructors for academic presentations.


Workers' Compensation/ Employers Liability (EL)                                    

Statutory limits for WC/ $1,000,000 EL

(WC and EL are not required if the vendor is an independent contractor)


Automobile Liability Insurance

 If the outside party uses vehicle that is integral to the work performed for or services provided to the University, outside parties working for the University must carry:

  • Bodily injury and property damage;
  • $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence; and
  • Includes owned, non-owned and hired vehicle coverage.


Professional/Errors & Omission Liability Insurance (when required)

When a supplier has a professional designation or license and/or is providing professional services (i.e. Architects, Engineers, Testing Service Providers) the University often requires this coverage:

  • $1,000,000 per occurrence; and
  • $1,000,000 aggregate. 

This coverage is required in addition to general liability (GL) coverage.  The coverage must be maintained during the term of the contract/agreement and at least three (3) years following its completion/termination.


Cyber Privacy Insurance (when required)

When a supplier has control of or access to sensitive information, the University often requires this coverage: 

Cyber Privacy Insurance for claims and losses with respect to network or data risks (such as data breaches, release of confidential information, unauthorized access/use of Information, and identity theft) with minimum limits of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate.



Umbrella / Excess Liability (when required) 

Umbrella / Excess Liability insurance provides additional coverage limits over a primary (GL) insurance policy. Excess Liability only applies to a single policy. An Umbrella Liability policy can apply to multiple policies. A standard umbrella liability policy generally provides additional limits to a business’s Commercial General Liability, Business Automobile Liability and Employer’s Liability policies.  An outside party’s Primary and Excess / Umbrella Liability limits can be added together to meet Risk Management’s minimum required limit(s) for an individual line of coverage.

The minimum required limits may be increased if the scope and/or risk associated with the outside party’s activities are greater than usual Wilkes University activities/projects.


General Insurance Provisions

Certificate of Insurance Requirements

A certificate of insurance (COI) is a document that shows proof of insurance coverage. Contractors, vendors, or other outside parties who will be performing work for or services to the University, or using University facilities are required to provide evidence of the insurance required by the University by submitting a certificate of insurance to risk management.

The certificate of insurance must:

1)      Name Wilkes University as an “Additional Insured” with the following language:

Wilkes University, its successors or assigns, as well as its Board of Trustees, officers, directors, employees and agents are included as additional insured as it pertains to the work done/service provided and/or product delivered to Wilkes University.  Unless precluded by law, all policies waive the right to recovery or subrogation against Wilkes University, its successors or assigns, the Board of Trustees, officers, directors, employees, and agents.

2)       Demonstrate that insurance policies are underwritten by a carrier rated at least "A" by Best Rating Agency.

3)       Contain a provision that a thirty (30) day prior written notice of cancellation shall be sent to the University.