How do I get my PIN to register?
You will need to meet with your assigned advisor first. Your advisor has your PIN and will share it with you once you have discussed which classes you should take.
Who is my advisor and what will he/she do?
To find out who your advisor is, watch for an email from an Advising Coordinator or go to the Academic Profile box on the Transfer tab in the portal. Your advisor will be assigned to you based on your intended major interests in time for summer Orientation. He/she will guide you during your transition from high school to college, be there to support you and answer questions about the curriculum, career plans, or other problems that may arise.   If you have chosen to be undeclared, an advisor with special expertise in these fields will be assigned until the time that you decide on a major.
I’m having trouble changing my password or syncing my Wilkes email with my phone. Who can I call?
Contact the Wilkes University Helpdesk at 570-408-4357(HELP).
What is FYF 101 and do I need to take it?
FYF 101 is a Freshman Seminar, designed to introduce new students to Wilkes and the college experience. Students who have completed 23 or fewer credit hours earned in a college classroom when they matriculate at the University are required to complete an FYF course during their first semester of study. All students who have completed more than 23 credit hours earned in a college classroom when they matriculate at the University are eligible, but not required, to take an FYF course.
What is a general education or distribution requirement?
The Wilkes General Education Requirements reflect the strong belief in the value of all students studying the arts and sciences. These courses are intended to provide a solid foundation and include a broad spectrum of courses designed to stimulate the student’s intellectual, personal, and social development. In addition to providing a well-rounded liberal arts foundation, these courses provide students with essential skills (critical thinking, written and verbal communication, and quantitative skills) that will support success in any profession. “Distribution Requirement” refers to a specific part of the general education requirements.
What is a prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a course or knowledge required prior to taking another course.  For example, passing chemistry 115 is required (a prerequisite) before being enrolled in chemistry 116.
How and when will I get my schedule?
When you complete and submit your course preferences online, that information will be used by advising services to create a schedule. This schedule will be based upon your course preferences, anticipated major, placement test results, academic background, and course availability. Depending on your major or career path, there will be some courses which you are required to take. If you complete the course preference form and placement assessments on time, you will receive your schedule when you meet with your academic advisor during summer orientation.
What is the First Year Foundations Experience?
The First Year Foundations Courses (FYF) are courses especially designed to integrate new students into the university community, provide a bonding experience with peers and with faculty, inspire a sense of connection to the University and its many support systems, and lay a foundation for the four-year Wilkes Undergraduate Experience. Courses in the FYF program are open to all students regardless of major and are not intended to be connected to any specific degree program. FYF Faculty members teach topics of deep personal interest and are excited about these courses. All students will take a FYF in the first semester. Students will choose from themes and will then be placed into sections.
Something is wrong with my transcript evaluation. How can I get it fixed?
Transcript evaluations are done by the Transfer Admissions Counselors. Please contact Ms. Amy Patton at
I cannot reach my faculty advisor, what do I do?
If you cannot reach your faculty advisor, please contact one of the Advising Coordinators.
For student in the College of Science and Engineering contact:
Dr. Mary Beth Mullen 570-408-4156
For students in the College of Art, Humanities & Social Sciences, the Sidhu School of Business or the School of Education contact:
Gretchen Yeninas 570-408-4428
Please know that all University offices will close for the Winter Break Monday, December 24, 2012 and will reopen on Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
What do I do if I don’t know my major?
If you are uncertain of your major you can select undeclared major on your course preference form. Undeclared students benefit from personalized assistance from a specially trained advisor who will support you in making important decisions about your future. We encourage undeclared students to explore a variety of areas of interest prior to selecting a major. Students do not need to officially select a major until the junior year.
What happens if I decide I don’t like the major I originally chose?
It is not unusual for a student to realize that they were mistaken in their expectation of any given major or career path. Students may, at any time, choose to become undeclared and be assigned an advisor who will guide them to make a more appropriate and rewarding choice. A student should never leave or change their major without first consulting an advisor at the university.
What is “undeclared sciences”?
Students who are not sure of what career path to take, but have a definite interest in the sciences should consider this option. A student who is on the undeclared science path could decide if Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Engineering, or one of the health professions is in their future. Students will have plenty of guidance along the way, no matter what they decide on. Students, with the help of an undeclared advisor or a major advisor, could choose courses along one or several paths which would help them to decide. 
Major paths to follow in “undeclared science” include:
Biology (optional marine science minor)
Earth and Environmental Science (w/ or w/o marine science)
Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical)
Applied Engineering
Engineering Management
Computer Information Systems
Computer Science
Where can I get more information about the programs, majors, and courses at Wilkes? 
This website brings together a great deal of information about the Wilkes curriculum. Explore the general education or majors pages. The Undergraduate Bulletin contains all of this information, including course descriptions.